Sunday 31 May 2015

It’s raining…thank God it’s raining…

I woke up this morning early, 4:30 am is my version of early.  I think a combination of not being able to sleep plus a desire to do some journalling inspired me to leave my bed.  I was feeling too hot so I stepped out on the deck for some cool air and was surprised to feel mist.  Could it really be raining?  It’s been so unseasonably dry, the grass is turning brown and the hay is not growing – very unnatural for the month of May.  Dry and parched.  No growth.  

With growing excitement I put on my shoes and went out to stand in the open garage door.  Yes, yes indeed, it was raining.  I think I was holding my breath as I took it in.  Wind blowing, small raindrops gently falling.  Then I saw the evidence….puddles!  It had been raining for a while, perhaps all night.  Eyes closed, now taking deep breaths, to take it all in.  The sounds of the birds, pleased with the rain.  The trickling of water off the roof.  I think I could hear the earth drinking up this much needed moisture.  Oh the thirst that was being satisfied.  

I put on my jacket and walked more, wanting to relish in it.  It’s dawn, there is light but no sun yet, I can see but it is all in grey tones.  The world is dark, moist and damp….a place where things can grow again, a nourishing place.  Deep breaths, good air in, stale air out…..hear the birds, hear the wind blow the trees, feel the cool damp air….breath deep, cool air in, warm air out….seek, accept, grow and be at peace with it.  Open my hands, palms up, fingers slightly curled and relaxed, arms reaching out a bit….receive the rain because it is good.  With it comes refreshment, nourishment.  

God is kissing my forehead, looking down on me, with me.  He knows how hard it is and he asks me to trust him with my heart.  Trust him with all the things I want to care for, I want to nurture and keep under my wings.  The things I desire to see cared for.  I believe God is telling me I can trust these things to him.  

Tears run down my cheeks as I write because I want to remain here, right here with my feet on the ground and my face turned to the sky….and I want to stay in the garden of my life.  I want to watch it grow, take in the beauty of it, walk with my hands touching the leaves and my eyes seeing the newness. 


How do we find peace in the hard, dry places? Perhaps the secret lies in the rain. 

Evidence of the rain, that is falling and has fallen through the night.

Looking at my hands this morning, holding them up to receive what is raining down.
I hear all the different sounds of the birds.

2 comments:

  1. That was beautifully written Teresa! Thank you for sharing and being an encouragement for people not to give up. Praying for continued healing.

    ReplyDelete